New Features - May 31, 2011
Last Updated on May 31, 2011
Features & Bug Fixes in betaDataFerrett
- DataFerrett is now available via a webpage applet and has enhanced security in place. It is a signed applet meaning
users will have to accept a VeriSign Certificate to use the software.
The old DataFerrett Application accessed via your desktop is no longer supported. However, any saved DataFerrett
databaskets (.fsf files) or tables (.ftf files) created using the application or beta version of the applet will still
be accessible for use.
- A user can now include data cells from more than four detailed tables from the ACS 2005-2009
Summary File dataset in a single extract request.
- Tabulating a mean variable across multiple instances is now fixed.
- The DataFerrett "Browse/Select Variables & Values" window is no longer unresponsive without notifying the
user when an invalid value has been entered in the minimum or maximum range field.
Previously, the DataFerrett "Browse/Select Variables & Values" window froze when a user entered an invalid value in the
minimum or maximum range fields for a variable that contains range values. Now, should an invalid value be entered, a
warning dialog is displayed indicating a valid numeric value is required.
- DataFerrett now provides a warning to users who attempt a Multi-variable Data Step recode with aggregate and geographic variables together.
The warning now states: "Dataferrett does not support multiple variable recoding for geography with any other variable."
Previously, this function returned invalid results without warning the user when such a step was attempted, as the
Multi-variable Data Step recode using aggregate and geographic variables together is not allowed.
- A generated SAS code no longer contains an error in the SAS format statement when a user requests an extract in SAS.
Previously, a user sometimes received the folloiwng error message when attempting to execute the generated code: "The same
value is equated with two or more different labels."
- In the Geography Codebook window, the higher level geography selection is now retained when a user subsequently
selects lower-level geographic areas from the geographic "hierarchy", (e.g., state-county-tract), before clicking on the
Previously, if a user selected a geographic area from the geographic codebook hierarchy, the higher level geography
associated with it, i.e. a state in which counties are selected, was not retained if the "Finish" button was not clicked
on at each stage of the geographic selection process.
- The "Hide","Insert", and "Delete" menu choices in the Ferrett Tabulation window are no longer active if
appropriate column or row selections have not been made.
Previously, the "Hide" "Insert" and "Delete" menu items in the Ferrett Tabulation window were erroneously active as
user choices without the appropriate column or row selections.
- The Geographic Codebook window now properly displays previously selected geographic values in the selection box
of the Codebook window when modifying a selected geographic variable in the "Step 2" environment of DataFerrett.
- A user can now cancel out of saving a session (.fsf) or tabulation (.ftf) file, continue to work, and then return
to the file save option to save the same session or tabulation files.
DataFerrett no longer closes unexpectedly if a user attempts to save a current DataFerrett session or tabulation window,
then clicks "Cancel" before completing the "Save", does more work, and then tries to "File --> Save As" again.